Friday, August 26, 2011

What Are You Waiting For?

A lot of people are excited about the beginning of college football season.  Not in my happy little world, where football season is just sort of a lull between basketball seasons.  In my happy little world, fall has nothing to do with sports.  It used to be about beautiful leaves and new jeans, but that will be different this year as I learn to adjust to being a resident of the land of eternal summer.   (I'm not sure how to process the sudden realization I had the other day that my mid-September birthday will hereafter be a "summer birthday.")

Nope, in my world, fall continues to be exciting for a completely different reason.  For me, the countdown is in effect because it's almost time for the fall season premieres on television!  One of my favorite technological developments of the past decade absolutely has to be the DVR.  I have a significant relationship with pop culture, and I can't deny my love for TV and movies, but I don't want to be the kind of girl who turns down real life just to catch certain shows.  The DVR and I bonded during grad school, because I almost always left home before 9am and came home after 10pm, which made normal TV viewing an impossibility.  DVR meant that prime time at my house could be 2am if I wanted!  GENIUS!!!  

Anyway, once I got used to the whole set-it-and-forget-it thing (yep, late-night TV reference), I could never go back.  I still like to have a TV night every now and then, but I prefer to record and watch on a delay because I find that fast-forwarding through the commercials keeps me from wanting a snack six times.  (Have you ever noticed how many food commercials there are?!?  It makes me hungry even when I'm not.)  Since the premieres are coming up, I had to spend some time deciding what I would deem DVR-worthy.  These are critical decisions, people.  Precious recording space must be allotted, and time conflicts must be considered.  Charts and graphs must be made.  Okay, okay... so maybe not.  Anyway, these are the shows that have made my cut so far, in no particular order:

How I Met Your Mother
Big Bang Theory
Bones
Grey's Anatomy
Private Practice
New Girl
2 Broke Girls

I also plan to record the season premiere of 2 and 1/2 Men, mostly to see how the show explains Charlie Sheen's departure and Ashton Kutcher's arrival.  I've heard rumors,  but I HATE spoilers so I won't share them.  I like to be surprised.  Entertainment is not nearly as entertaining if you already know the punchlines to all of the jokes and the outcome of all of the cliffhangers.  Incidentally, learning to avoid spoilers is a key to enjoying DVR use.  If you record a season finale or an NCAA tournament game and you want a chance to enjoy it from beginning to end, I have two words for you:  Facebook blackout.  Your 500 closest friends will ruin it for you every time.   

So, that's how I'll be distracting myself from academic pursuits as of late September.  What are YOU waiting for? 

1 comment:

  1. Believe it or not after a few years you will be able to see/feel the seasons changing. I thought people were crazy when they said that to me, but it's true. However, it will never be as AWESOME as Kentucky.

    Grey's Anatomy? I didn't know that show was still on?

    BTW, sorry about not touching base with you after sending you the FB message. To say that I have been worn out from the travel and B's recent ear infection would be an understatement.

    ReplyDelete